Temporary Streetcar Bridge Linking Duluth And Superior, 1890s

The first bridge to link Duluth and Superior was the St. Louis Bay Bridge, opened in 1885 by the Northern Pacific Railway. Next up was the Grassy Point Bridge, built in 1887. But both those bridges were for trains. Pedestrians and streetcar riders still needed to use ferries to cross between the two cities —…
Read More

First Street At Chester Creek, 1960

Many drivers who travel on East First Street between 14th and 13th avenues East probably have no idea that they’re driving over Chester Creek, channeled in a tunnel far underground. Pedestrians know — it’s hard to miss the sound of the creek’s rushing waters as it angles beneath the street and on down to Lake Superior.…
Read More

Duluth’s First Lighthouse

The Twin Ports’ first lighthouse and a keeper’s house were built on Minnesota Point between 1856 and 1858 for a cost of $13,700, to serve ships using the Superior Entry — at that time the only passage from Lake Superior to the Duluth-Superior harbor. It operated until 1885, when a Superior pierhead light was lit.…
Read More

Sinkhole Swallows Car In Duluth, 1963

H.J. McMullen was not having a very good day when this photo was taken by the News Tribune’s Karl Jaros in July 1963. As the original caption reported, McMullen was “ruefully” surveying the wreckage of his car after floodwaters from a broken water main undermined 15th Avenue East just below Superior Street. Meanwhile, an enormous…
Read More

London Road Hardee’s, 1995

June 1995 This photo, from June 1995 and apparently taken from atop the former Salter School building at 16th Avenue East and London Road in Duluth, shows a couple of chain businesses that are no longer there: A boarded-up Holiday Stationstore to the right, and a then-operating Hardee’s restaurant on the other side of 16th…
Read More