A “Haunted House” In Duluth, 1960s

This photo came from a folder in the News Tribune archives marked “urban renewal” — the photo is labeled “Haunted House.” The caption reads: The old Hochs home at 230 South 29th Avenue West There’s no date on the photo — which makes it nearly impossible to find the story it accompanied (the search continues).…
Read More

Photos Of Paul Wellstone’s Trips To The Northland

Wednesday, October 25, 2017, marks the 15th anniversary of the plane crash near Eveleth that took the life of U.S. Sen. Paul Wellstone (D-Minn.), his wife Sheila, and six others. In 2012, on the 10th anniversary of the crash, the News Tribune Attic gathered a collection of News Tribune file photos from Wellstone’s many trips…
Read More

Temporary Streetcar Bridge Linking Duluth And Superior, 1890s

The first bridge to link Duluth and Superior was the St. Louis Bay Bridge, opened in 1885 by the Northern Pacific Railway. Next up was the Grassy Point Bridge, built in 1887. But both those bridges were for trains. Pedestrians and streetcar riders still needed to use ferries to cross between the two cities —…
Read More

First Street At Chester Creek, 1960

Many drivers who travel on East First Street between 14th and 13th avenues East probably have no idea that they’re driving over Chester Creek, channeled in a tunnel far underground. Pedestrians know — it’s hard to miss the sound of the creek’s rushing waters as it angles beneath the street and on down to Lake Superior.…
Read More

Duluth’s First Lighthouse

The Twin Ports’ first lighthouse and a keeper’s house were built on Minnesota Point between 1856 and 1858 for a cost of $13,700, to serve ships using the Superior Entry — at that time the only passage from Lake Superior to the Duluth-Superior harbor. It operated until 1885, when a Superior pierhead light was lit.…
Read More