More Odds And Ends Photos From The Attic

More random photo finds from the News Tribune archives, that never quite found a home in their own Attic post.

If you have any information to share about these, please post a comment:

This photo is dated May 24, 1966 – but that’s the extent of the information we have. Apparently it’s a staged photo to show how a mail carrier can use a chemical deterrent to fend off aggressive dogs (Bassett hounds and otherwise). (News-Tribune file photo)

Emerson Elementary School students race toward home on May 3, 1963, as part of a citywide Civil Defense test of all Duluth school evacuation programs. Civil defense officials reported that the tests all ran smoothly. Emerson School still stands, but it’s no longer a school; it’s in the Observation Hill neighborhood. (News-Tribune file photo)

Construction underway on the Miller Hill Mall in Duluth in 1971. This view is looking west – Trinity Road is at bottom left; Target is at upper right. Click on the image for a larger view. (Earl Johnson / News-Tribune)

Old St. Louis County Jail at Third Street and Sixth Avenue East, circa 1906. Built in 1888, with the sheriff’s home in the front and the jail in the back. Later used as a hospital before being razed; the site was home to a supermarket, and now is home to St. Luke’s hospital’s Hillside Center building. (News-Tribune file photo)

The Duluth News Tribune building on West First Street, circa 1970. Two floors were later added above the “plaza” at right, to create the building as it is today. (News-Tribune file photo)

Cliff Anderson of St. Louis Park, Minn., walks away from Lion Springs disappointed on Sept. 2, 1988, after not being able to draw any water from the well. Health officials said the well along U.S. Highway 53 nine miles south of Eveleth contained unsafe bacteria levels. The well reopened later that year, but was closed again in 1992. Does anyone out there know if Lion Springs still exists? Is the water still unsafe? (Dave Ballard / News-Tribune file photo)

1 Response

  1. Marion Johnson Woodbury

    The former jail and hospital (Herding,) I think, were there until mid 1940’s or so. Before being razed, it also functioned as a low income housing unit with many rooms, but only one large kitchen and many colorful tenants and an elderly landlord who kept a decrepit cat which rode on his shoulder. Our family lived across the street, and had many photos taken with the beautiful stone work as a backdrop.

Leave a Reply