The first two bridges to link Duluth and Superior — the St. Louis Bay and Grassy Point bridges — provided a path for trains to cross between the two cities. A temporary bridge provided a seasonal streetcar link. But into the 1890s, the communities still relied on ferries to carry pedestrians most of the year.
Amid ongoing discussions, in October 1893, representatives from Duluth and Superior, along with the Lake Carriers’ Association, endorsed a plan for a “combination bridge” — carrying multiple forms of traffic — between Rice’s Point in Duluth and Connors Point in Superior.
On July 13, 1897, the span — referred to as the Duluth-Superior Bridge — officially was opened to the public. The next day’s Duluth News Tribune reported on the gathering of several thousand people on the bridge for the “steel wedding” of Duluth and Superior.
“Henceforth Duluth and Superior will ride tandem,” the paper reported. “The cry of the boatman, ‘Wait till the boat lands,’ is now a memory. … That some time a bridge should span the waters of the ‘gate’ and connect the two head of the lakes cities has been the dream of their people for years. They knew that some day it would be realized and now the bridge is there, an ornament to the head of the lakes and a monument to the enterprise of its promoters.”
“When it was first placed in operation the bridge welcomed pedestrians and horse-drawn vehicles and carried two railroad tracks and a streetcar line,” historians Tony Dierckins and Maryanne Norton wrote in the 2012 book “Lost Duluth.” “Everyone paid a toll: five cents for pedestrians and bicycles, 15 cents for wagons, and a dime for each head of cattle.”
The bridge, later to be known as the Interstate Bridge, featured a swing span in the middle to allow ships to pass.
Most ships, that is. At about 1 a.m. on Aug. 11, 1906, the steamer Troy crashed into the swing span of the Interstate Bridge as it was opening, sending part of the span into the water and blocking ship traffic. The News Tribune reported that the captain of the Troy claimed that bridge operators had a reputation for cutting things close when opening the span for ships, and that by the time he realized something was wrong that night, it was too late to avoid a collision. He also suggested the bridge tender may have been asleep.
Representatives from the Great Northern Railway, which owned the bridge, disputed that. They backed their employee — who narrowly escaped with his life — and countered that streetcar riders and operators had been complaining that the bridge tenders allowed too much advance time when opening for passing vessels. They also faulted the Troy for heading back to its dock after the collision without checking the water for possible victims.
While the shipping channel was cleared of debris relatively quickly, it took more than two years for the bridge to be returned to service, with the News Tribune reporting that streetcars resumed regular operation across the bridge on Sept. 27, 1908. (The bridge was hit at least one more time, by the freighter Robert L. Ireland in 1956.)
Route maps, news stories and old aerial photos show that streetcars that traversed the Interstate also crossed a separate swing span across Howards Bay in Superior — the Lamborn Avenue Bridge — about which few details are known, and of which few traces remain today.
The rise in vehicle traffic meant the Interstate’s days were numbered, as city and state officials started planning for a replacement bridge. That bridge — what is now known as the Blatnik Bridge — opened on Dec. 2, 1961. On the same day, the Interstate Bridge closed to vehicle traffic. It was demolished in 1972 — except for a portion on the Duluth side which was preserved as a fishing pier and stands today in the shadow of the big bridge that replaced it.
Here are a few more photos:
Share your memories of the Interstate Bridge by posting a comment.