Sunday’s News Tribune features a
story looking back at the history of Duluth Central High School, which will close this year after nearly 120 years of classes and memories at two locations.
The first Central opened in 1892 in the downtown building now known as Old Central High School, with its landmark clock tower. In 1971, Central students moved up the hill to the present location, with one of the best views in town.
Central High School has been featured a few times in the Attic; here are some of those posts:
Ceiling collapses at Central, 1963
Building new Central High, 1971
Driver’s ed at Central High, 1971
Longtime Central teacher and coach John Swain, 1969
Here is a gallery of more Central High School photos not previously featured in the Attic; click on the photos for a larger version….
An undated photo of a classroom at Old Central High School in Duluth. (News-Tribune file photo)
“New” Central High School atop the hill in Duluth is seen from the top of the bell tower at Old Central High School in July 1971, a couple months before the new school opened. (News-Tribune file photo)
Students outside Duluth Central High School on Jan. 22, 1964. (News-Tribune file photo)
Marilyn Fawcett takes trays of chicken out of the ovens in the Central High School kitchen on May 9, 1985. (Jack Rendulich / News-Tribune)
The graffiti-covered bell at Old Central High School in an undated photo, circa 1970. (News-Tribune file photo)
Graffiti covers the walls and windows inside the bell tower at Duluth’s Old Central High School in March 1968. (News-Tribune file photo)
This photo from the News Tribune files shows Central High School under construction – though nearly complete, circa 1891. Crews working on the brick and stone of the tower are spread across the grounds in front of the school. (News-Tribune file photo)
Gordy Giswold and Andy Burda, two members of the Z Squad, a group of Duluth Central High School male cheerleaders, hoot it up during a state tourney send-off pep assembly for the Central boys basketball team on March 19, 1985. (John Rott / News-Tribune)
Auditorium under construction at “new” Central High School, Jan. 24, 1971. (Earl Johnson / News-Tribune)
LaGanda Nichols, Terri Hall and Sara Clark in a home economics class at Duluth Central High School on March 5, 1980. (Joey McLeister / News-Tribune)
Share your memories of Duluth Central High School by posting a comment.