May 23, 1976
"Tina" (no last name listed) serves up an ice cream cone at a Duluth-area Bridgeman’s. (News-Tribune photo)
Bridgeman’s has been a Duluth institution for years. According to the company Web site, Henry Bridgeman started selling fresh milk in Duluth in 1883; in 1936, his sons, Chester and Roy, opened the first Bridgeman’s Ice Cream Shoppe. At one time there were several Bridgeman’s Ice Cream Shoppes / Restaurants in Duluth, but now there is just one, near the Miller Hill Mall. The Lakeside location burned in May 1988; others were located near the Plaza Shopping Center, in West Duluth, in the West End and on Woodland Avenue.
The photo above has no caption information about which Bridgeman’s location it was taken at, but there are a few interesting details in the background. Apparently Bridgeman’s had a series of special flavors for the bicentennial; in that month, it was "Tory Toffeenut" – English Toffee-flavored ice cream with crunchy toffee candies and almond chunks. Also on the menu, a flavor called "Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride" – does anyone know what was in that ice cream?
Here are some more photos:
The new Bridgeman’s store at 2344 Central Entrance in Duluth Heights, Dec. 30, 1962. (Does anyone know what corner this store was located on?)
The interior of the new Bridgeman’s store on Central Entrance, Jan. 11, 1963.
Bridgeman’s milk for sale in Duluth, March 1, 1980.